Monday 31 October 2011

Classic old school RPG Spellcraft & Swordplay re-released on DriveThru (Print & PDF)


Core Rulebook
PDF $6.50*
(HB print $30)
Monstrous Mayhem
PDF $5*
(HB Print $15)
Basic Game
PDF FREE
(Print $7)

*Reduced price at time of posting.

In a bold move, striking from a hidden secret base, Elf Lair Games, publishers of Spellcraft & Swordplay make an announcement:
Elf Lair Games is proud to announce that the Spellcraft & Swordplay Core Rulebook and the Spellcraft & Swordplay Basic Game are both now available in print from DriveThruRPG. And as a bonus, if you buy the hard copy, the PDF is FREE.

I'm not completely knowledge-hot on every system and edition release, but even I know that Spellcraft and Swordplay has been kicking around the net for a while.  In fact I now realise that my fascination and praise for Epees & Sorcellaire adopting the 2d6 core mechanic of Chainmail/OD&D seemed somewhat naive when many Old School Renaissance fans are well aware that 2d6-to-hit is also a hallmark of Spellcraft & Swordplay.  

Yes, that's right kids, how "old-school" do you really want to go?  Still clinging to that d20?  Oh dear, I'm afraid, your needs are far to random!  Embrace the gambler's two true friends, return to those cubes of fate!
(I still heartily recommend EetS for it's beautific conciseness).   Rapid, fun and perhaps a little deadly, let's hope those averages are on your side.

http://www.elflair.com/
Store on DriveThruRPG

In way of explanation the August Press Release says this:

The Lulu store will remain active, but changes are coming--soon Lulu will house only the "old school" versions of S&S, and moving forward DTRPG and RPGNow will carry all of our new product, including some exciting releases that have been long-promised and hopefully will soon be moving ahead full steam. Products like The Vampire Queen's Revenge and The Hand of Nergal, our first S&S modules which we plan to tie together as the first two installments of an epic trilogy, as well as Eldritch Witchery, the second sourcebook for S&S, written by Timothy Brannan.
In addition, work has re-commenced on the long awaited Twelve Parsecs science fantasy / space opera RPG, as well as a few new surprises.


As always, I find Lulu a little clumsy in finding me exactly what I want, but this seemed to work:
Current Lulu list of books by Spellcraft & Swordplay author, Jason Vey

I've acquired a copy of the Core rulebook (PDF) through DriveThru.  I'm still perusing and absorbing its contents.  So for now I can't give you my full opinion on the complete works.  However, I must insist that you download the free "Basic" game which should give you a pretty good feel for how the system plays (for the first few levels).  Also, it makes a spiffing introductory RPG game - perhaps essential for gaming emergencies when no polyhedral dice can be found (think: rainy caravan holiday, iPad/ebook reader plus Snakes and Ladders dice...).


3 comments:

  1. I found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the enjoyment here! keep up the good work... how to play solitaire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this website doesn't work( use this link https://solitaire.zone/

      Delete